...for those interested in teaching English anywhere in the world...





(click on the questions
to toggle the answers)


  • What is TEFL / TESL?  

    • TEFL - Teaching English as a Foreign Language and
      TESL - Teaching English as a Second Language are very similar.  The only difference is the next to last word (Foreign or Second), determined by whether English is the native language where the course is being taught.

      • Foreign is used to refer to teaching English in a country/area where English is not the native language.

      • Second is used to refer to teaching English in a country/area where English is the native language.

      Other acronyms used around the world:

      • TESOL: Teaching English Speakers of Other Languages

      • TEASOL: Teaching English to Adult Speakers of Other Languages

      • TBE: Teaching Business English  


  • Why do I need a certificate?

    • Most decent schools will require a certificate before hiring.  This shows that you have been trained and prepared to teach English.  However, there are some schools that do not require a certificate.  These schools tend to always be desperate for teachers due to poor working conditions or poor salaries.


  • Do I need any teaching experience?

    • As with any occupation, experience is always a plus.  But at UET our intensive training is very rigorous and our trainees are monitored and coached on a daily basis.  Our goal is to provide our trainees with the proper knowledge, fundamentals and tools necessary to teach, while giving them a chance to practice what they have learned on a daily basis.


  • Will I be able to teach in just 4 weeks?

    • The staff at UET is made up of certified, highly trained instructors with a great deal of experience in teaching students as well as teachers.  Our instructors closely monitor, guide and coach all teacher trainees in small groups, as well as one-on-one.  Therefore, all UET graduates leave our course with the knowledge, experience, confidence and professional attitude to walk into any classroom and begin teaching.


  • What is the best time of year to take the course?

    • Because there is such a big demand for English teachers all over the world, there is never a bad time to take the course.  There are literally thousands of jobs around the world every day, and there are companies that work year-round recruiting certified TEFL / TESL teachers.


  • Will I be able to find a job after the course?

    • The most difficult part about finding a job teaching English, once you are certified, will be choosing which one to take!  If you know the country or location where you would like to work, please let us know as soon as possible.  Upon notification we'll begin the legwork in finding you a position in your desired location, before you even finish the course.


  • Why take the course in Mexico?

    • Besides the fact that Puerto Vallarta is one of the most beautiful places in the world, if you are planning to teach English in a foreign country, why not live in one while you study?  This could also possibly give you an edge over another teacher who has never lived in a foreign country.


  • Is Puerto Vallarta safe?

    • Puerto Vallarta is a beautiful resort town that makes almost all of its money from tourism.  Therefore, there is no crime!  Puerto Vallarta is one of the safest places in all of Mexico!


  • Is Puerto Vallarta expensive?

    • Being a resort town, Puerto Vallarta has a wide variety of things to do and places to visit.  Therefore, you can spend accordingly, as much or as little as you like.  It is possible to eat all of your meals out for less than $10 US per day.  But, all teacher trainees will have a full kitchen to prepare meals at home as well.

    • Entertainment prices will vary as well. 

  • Will I need a visa or working papers?

    • Teacher trainees will not need a visa or working papers other than the tourist card that you will receive upon entering Mexico.  Your tourist card can be stamped for any duration,  30 to 180 days.  We recommend having it stamped for 180 days, just in case you decide to stay longer.  This can help you avoid having to pay for an extension later on.


  • Can I stay in Puerto Vallarta longer than just 4 weeks?

    • Many teachers who come down to sunny beautiful Puerto Vallarta find that 4 weeks is just not long enough.  UET provides the following assistance to all graduates wishing to remain in Puerto Vallarta after the course:

    • Finding an apartment and furnishings

    • Finding a job (a lifetime service to all  graduates)

    • FM3 and all other working papers

    • Activities and adventures in Puerto Vallarta  


Do you have a question not listed above?
(click here)